- By Triangle Localista
- 2 March, 2012
- Comments Off
Sooo, you may have noted there hasn’t been a lot of content relating to our local farmers’ markets of late. Honestly, I’ve been slacking on that front – my bad. In January, I took inventory of my freezer contents and discovered quite a bit of frozen produce socked away in there. Since I expended time and energy (and money) stocking the freezer, I was determined to make use of what was already available to me. As a result, I’ve not been a market “regular”, but I have cleared plenty of freezer space for the upcoming strawberry season!
Those freezer supplies went into
- A batch of chili for Superbowl weekend, using whole tomatoes (Yes – You can freeze whole tomatoes!), poblano chilis, roasted corn kernels and local pasture-raised ground beef.
- Pumpkin ricotta gnocchi, pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin gingerbread
- A Blackberry buttermilk bundt cake (for me Mum)
- Arugula pesto, over pasta and as a spread on sandwiches
- Egg muffins, a fabulous way to use up left over bits of meat/veggies/cheese
And on the kitchen agenda for this weekend
- Sweet potato casserole muffins (omitting the mini marshmallows)
- Coconut red curry sauce & noodles (omitting the tofu – just my personal preference), using napa cabbage, carrots & honey from vendors at Durham Farmers’ Market
- And if I can score some more Pine Knot Farm Brussels sprouts, this fettuccine recipe
I’m hoping to make “Meals from the Market” a weekly series here on the blog each Friday, linking to recipes I’ve made using items found in local markets. Guess that means I have a standing appointment on my calendar for Saturday mornings!
Sometimes, getting to the farmers’ market on a Saturday morning isn’t the easiest task for people. That’s where a CSA subscription becomes quite useful for those that want to support local farms/farmers and obtain the freshest, seasonal produce. One CSA source is Coon Rock Farm (profiled in this “Flavor NC” episode). This weekend, two food trucks, Chirba Chirba and Pie Pushers, will create menu items using Coon Rock Farm ingredients. The Food Truck Farm Feast will be at Motorco in Durham this Saturday, and at Cliff’s Meat Market in Carrboro on Sunday (12:30 pm to 4:00 pm on both days).
Coon Rock Farm also happens to supply ingredients to local restaurants, Zely & Ritz in Raleigh, and Piedmont in Durham. On Wednesday, March 8th, Piedmont is hosting a Beer Dinner featuring Fullsteam beers (see the full menu here). As you can see, it’s a special kind of delicious when great food meets lovely libations.
Though March has just started, I’m really looking forward to April, when more seasonal markets open in our local communities. At the end of April, we’ll get to pack our cars with farm lovin’ friends and a cooler (or three), to tour all the local, sustainable farms in the 17th Annual Piedmont Farm Tour. Circle these dates on your calendar – April 28th & 29th.
OK, to “sum up”
- Visit a farmers’ market each Saturday morning
- Check out Coon Rock Farm CSA, Food Truck Farm Feast, Fullsteam Beer Dinner at Piedmont
- Block out April 28th and/or 29th for the Piedmont Farm Tour
- Come back here next Friday to see what’s cooking
That’ll do it. Make it a great weekend, friends and thanks for keepin’ it local!